A graduate in Archaeology and History, from University College Dublin, where she was involved in Dramsoc, Consolata Boyle trained at Ireland’s national theatre, the Abbey, before becoming resident designer in the Peacock. She also studied textiles at the West Surrey College of Art and Design. Theatre work includes the world première of Brian Friel’s Translations for Field Day (set and costumes), and Joe Dowling’s acclaimed production of Juno and the Paycock for the Gate, which transferred to Broadway.
Extensive film credits include Neil Jordan’s Byzantium, The Iron Lady, Angela’s Ashes, The Winslow Boy, and Into the West. She has collaborated with Stephen Frears eight times, designing costumes for Philomena, Tamara Drewe, Chéri, The Queen, Mary Reilly, The Van, The Snapper, and a new film with Meryl Streep, based on the life of Florence Foster Jenkins. Television includes The Special Relationship (HBO), Into the Storm (HBO), and The Lion in Winter (Showtime). Consolata recently designed costumes for Miss Julie, written and directed by Liv Ullmann, Testament of Youth, based on Vera Brittains’s memoir of the First World War, and Hugh Hudson’s Altamira, with Antonio Banderas.
Her costumes were included in the landmark exhibition, Hollywood Costume, which opened in the V&A in London in 2012, and has since toured to Australia and several museums in the United States, where its final destination was the Academy of Motion Picture Art and Sciences in Los Angeles.
Consolata is represented by Independent Talent Group, +44 (0)207 636 6565.
- Oscar nomination for Best Achievement in Costume Design 2007 for "The Queen"
- BAFTA nomination for Best Costume Design 2007 for "The Queen"
- Emmy Award for Costume Design 2004 for "The Lion in Winter"
- Costume Designers Guild Award for Excellence in Contemporary Film 2007 for "The Queen"
- Best Costume Design, Irish Film and Television Awards for "Philomena" (2014), "The Iron Lady" (2012), "Chéri" (2010), "The Queen" (2006) and Best Craft Achievement - Film for "Angela's Ashes" (2000)
- Multiple additional nominations - see IMDB listing for full details.